After an accident, you have a lot on your plate. Further, the recovery process is something that you may not be intimately familiar with. At the same time, the stakes are very high in these cases, as you only get one chance to bring a personal injury lawsuit. When looking for a car accident lawyer, you want to ensure that the lawyer you select has extensive experience handling all stages of a car accident lawsuit.
Many car accident cases do not go to trial because they are resolved through a settlement agreement. However, insurance companies are unscrupulous when it comes to handling these claims. For example, insurance companies look for any reason to reduce the value of your claim or deny it altogether. Unless you have experience handling these claims, you may assume that an insurance company’s offer is final, leaving you with no choice but to accept it. However, that is not the case; an insurance company’s settlement offer is just that, an offer. You can negotiate.
Thus, you want to make sure that your lawyer has experience negotiating settlement agreements on behalf of clients who were involved in similar situations. Additionally, while most car accident lawsuits are settled pre-trial, that is not always the case. Often, one of the primary considerations of an insurance company in making a settlement offer is the fact that if you reject the offer, the insurance company will get drawn into a lengthy and potentially costly trial. The more experience your attorney has taking these cases to trial, the more comfortable they will be in the negotiation process, and the more serious the insurance company will take the potential of litigation.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?