A personal injury lawsuit allows you to hold the negligent driver accountable for the injuries and other losses you suffered because of your car accident. When filing a car accident claim, the two types of damages you can recover are economic and non-economic.
Economic damages consist of the tangible losses you incurred due to the collision. They may include past and future medical expenses, property damage, physical therapy and lost earnings due to time off work for recovery, among other costs.
Non-economic damages are harder to quantify. They generally refer to the mental and emotional losses a person suffers. Damages may include:
• Pain and suffering
• Emotional distress
• Post-traumatic stress disorder
• Loss of companionship and loss of life enjoyment
In some cases, a court may also award punitive damages to punish the liable party for reckless or willful misconduct. As an example, a car accident lawsuit that involves a drunk driver may warrant punitive damages.
An experienced Chicago car accident attorney can help you calculate the damages you may be entitled to in your case. Contact Briskman Briskman & Greenberg today to learn more about how we can get you the full compensation you are owed.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?