Most car accident cases do not make it to trial. Instead, these cases are resolved through the pre-trial negotiation process. After an accident, you will file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. The insurance company will investigate the accident, review your injuries, and offer to settle the case. If you accept an insurance company’s offer, you agree not to pursue the claim in exchange for the sum of money offered by the insurance company.
In the wake of a serious accident, it is tempting to take any offer extended by the insurance company. However, an insurance company’s initial offer is rarely their best one. Often, an insurance company will make a low-ball offer to an accident victim early in the process in hopes of getting them to give up the right to pursue their claim. Unfortunately, accident victims who accept an offer too early often learn that the insurance company’s offer failed to compensate them for their injuries fully.
The best practice is to consult with an experienced attorney before accepting any insurance company’s offer. An attorney will conduct an independent investigation into the accident to help you determine the full extent of your damages. This will give you a better idea of what a fair settlement looks like, so you can make an educated decision about accepting the offer. Additionally, a lawyer will understand how to negotiate with the insurance company, potentially resulting in a higher settlement offer.
An experienced Chicago car accident attorney can help you determine exactly what your damages are, ensuring that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?