Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?
Car accidents often involve just two vehicles. Thus, if you were not at fault, you may assume that the only party who could be responsible for your injuries is the other driver. However, there may be other parties who are also liable to you.
One of the most important things to keep in mind after a car accident is that the other driver’s insurance company will be the primary avenue of recovery. Under the terms of the other driver’s insurance policy, the insurance company is on the hook for any damages caused by the driver. On the one hand, this is a good thing, as it ensures there are sufficient assets to cover your damages award if you are successful. However, this also means that you must deal with the insurance company throughout the process. Insurance companies have teams of highly skilled lawyers whose sole job is to limit an insurance company’s liability, making it more challenging to bring a claim successfully.
A negligent driver’s employer may also be liable for your injuries in some car accident cases. Under the doctrine of vicarious liability, employers are legally responsible for the negligent actions of their employees. Thus, if you were injured by a delivery driver, truck driver, or some other motorist who was acting within the scope of their employment at the time of the accident, you may be able to join the negligent drive’s employer as a defendant in your claim.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?