Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
Yes, it is possible that you can still recover compensation for your injuries even if you shared responsibility for causing the accident. Illinois is a “modified comparative negligence” state, which means that a judge or jury will assess each party’s relative fault when deciding whether you can recover compensation for your injuries. Only if you were more than 50 percent at fault for your injuries will you be prohibited from compensation.
However, any amount of fault attributed to you will reduce your take-home damages award. For example, assume that you were injured in a Chicago car accident and suffered $200,000 in damages. Say the jury found that you were 10 percent at fault for the accident and the other driver was 90 percent responsible. In this case, your damages would $180,000, or $200,000 less $20,000, or 10 percent. While you being partially at fault for causing an accident will not totally preclude you from recovering for your injuries in most cases, it is imperative that you work with an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney to prevent the other party or their insurance company from unfairly shifting blame onto you.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?