What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
Your actions after a car accident can have a significant impact on any personal injury claim you may decide to file in the future. While you are likely to experience distress, shock and confusion immediately after a crash, following these steps will help ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. Here is what you should do once you can calm down and get your bearings:
• Call 911. First responders who arrive at the accident scene will help you or anyone else who is injured.
• Inform the police about the collision. They will conduct a preliminary investigation and create an official incident report, which will be valuable to your claim.
• Move your vehicle to a safe location, if possible, to minimize the risk of further injury. Watch out for leaking fluid or smoke as they may be signs of danger.
• Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if your injuries appear to be minor. Seeing a doctor establishes a clear link between the collision and your injuries.
• Exchange contact details and vehicle and insurance information with all the drivers involved in the crash. Also, get the names and contact details of any witnesses who saw the collision.
• Use a smartphone to take photos and videos of the accident scene, skid marks, car damage, your injuries and weather conditions. Gathering such evidence can strengthen your claim.
• Do not discuss fault for the crash or make any other statements that can be used against you later. Only communicate the facts of the car accident with the police.
• Notify your insurance agency about the crash. Stick to the basics of what happened and where the collision occurred, but do not go into any details. Avoid signing any documents or making statements before talking to a car accident lawyer.
• Contact a Chicago car accident attorney. The lawyer will help you understand your legal options for pursuing compensation for your injuries.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault For Causing An Accident?
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run?
- How Long After A Car Accident Do Injuries Appear?
- How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need In Illinois?
- How Much Time Do I have To File A Claim For My Car Accident?
- Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer After a Car Accident?
- What Are The Most Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident?
- What Can I Get For My Neck Injury From My Car Accident?
- What Documents Do I Need To Show As Evidence?
- What Injuries Can A Car Accident Cause?
- What Options Do I Have After Being Injured In A Car Accident?
- What Should I Look For in a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What Should You Do After A Car Accident With An Injury?
- What Types Of Damages Can A Person Claim?
- When Do I Need An Attorney For Car Accident Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Responsible For a Car Accident?