What to Do If Someone’s Dog Bites You?
Your safety and wellbeing should be the top priority if you have suffered dog bite injuries. The steps you take after an attack are also important for preserving your right to recover compensation through a dog bite claim.
Try to remain calm and get a safe distance away from the dog. The first thing you should do is get medical attention right away. A doctor can treat your wounds and prevent them from getting infected. Visiting a hospital also ensures you have a medical record that shows the full extent of the injuries, which will be useful in your future dog bite claim.
Report the dog bite incident to the police or local authorities. Be sure to obtain a copy of the accident report. It is also important to identify the dog owner who is liable for your injuries. Obtain their name, contact information and the dog’s vaccination records, if possible.
Gather as much evidence as you can. It will help document what happened and establish the dog owner’s liability.
If you are not too badly hurt, take photos of your injuries and where the dog attack occurred. Jot down notes about the incident so that you do not forget critical details. Collect the contact information of any witnesses who saw you getting bitten.
Avoid communicating with the dog owner or their insurance company. If they contact you, do not sign any documents or provide an official statement. They may try to get you to take the blame for the dog attack.
Contact a Chicago dog bite attorney who can advise you on appropriate next steps. Briskman Briskman & Greenberg has experience handling all types of bog bite claims throughout Illinois. We can help you understand your options for recovering compensation from the dog owner.
Other Dog Bite FAQs:
- Can the Post Office Refuse to Deliver Mail Because of a Dog?
- How Do Dogs React to Repellant?
- How Many Dog Bites Occur In The US?
- How to Prevent a Dog Bite?
- How to Treat Dog Bites?
- My Child Got Bitten By A Dog; What Are My Next Steps?
- What Breed of Dog Bites the Most?
- What Can I File if I Was Bitten by a Dog During My Delivery?
- What Evidence Is Needed For A Dog Bite Lawsuit?
- What Is Dog Repellant?
- What Is The Total Cost For A Dog Bite Lawyer?
- What Should Letter Carriers Know About Dogs?
- What Should Pet Owners Do Before a USPS Worker Delivers the Mail?
- What to Do If Someone’s Dog Bites You?
- When Should Dog Repellant Be Used?
- Where Should I Discard Dog Repellant?
- Which Cities Have the Most Dog Bites?
- Who Do You Contact After A Dog Bite?
- Why Is Dog Repellant Necessary?