Dogs are wonderful pets to have. However, any dog can bite. It is easy to forget that even the most beloved canine can cause serious harm to you or a loved one. Dogs are still animals with animal instincts, reactions and tendencies. Combine that with some breeds’ size, strength, and bite force with their limited ability to communicate with people, and it can be a recipe for disaster.
At Briskman Briskman & Greenberg, our compassionate personal injury attorneys represent clients attacked by a dog. We work closely with you to hold the animal’s owner liable for the full extent of your injuries.
Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
Many dog lovers argue that labeling an entire breed of dogs as inherently dangerous is unfair. Dog lovers say that it is not bad dogs that are responsible for dog attacks but rather the bad behavior of humans. However, statistics show that certain types of dogs tend to cause more severe injuries when they bite. Here are the ten breeds most likely to cause serious injury:
1. Pit Bulls – This breed is responsible for the majority of all bites and 66 percent of all dog-related fatalities (284 of 433) in the 13 years between 2005 and 2017. They have been bred for their ability to fight over the years and have very forceful bites, making them very efficient attackers. As such, they cause the most damage when they do bite.
2. Rottweiler – Rottweilers are another dog that has been prized for their strength and trained to fight. They were involved in 11 percent of the fatal dog attacks included in the study period.
3. German Shepherds
4. Mixed Breeds
5. American Bulldogs
8. Labrador Retrievers
10. Doberman Pinschers
Aggressive Does Not Always Mean Dangerous
Some breeds, especially small ones, are widely known for being aggressive. Chihuahuas and Dachshunds are the best examples of this. They are two of the most aggressive dog breeds, but they are not likely to cause severe injury because they are so small.
Conversely, a dog like a Labrador Retriever is one of the most popular breeds in the United States because of its friendly personality. This large, strong dog breed can easily cause harm when they bite or jump on people.
Damages for Dog Bite Victims
No matter what type of dog injured you or a loved one, compensation may be available to cover the damages incurred because of the injury. The dog’s owner can be held accountable for their pet’s actions in many cases.
Illinois is a strict liability state for dog bites. This means that if the victim was in the place where the incident occurred legally and did not provoke the dog when it attacked, they can pursue damages from the dog’s owner. There is no need for the dog to have a history of aggressive behavior before restitution is sought.
Both economic and non-economic damages are available in dog bite cases. Economic damages are those with a clear dollar value, like medical bills. Non-economic damages represent losses that are not financial but still important. Potential damages include:
• Medical bills
• Lost income
• Future costs of care
• Pain and suffering
• Emotional distress
• Others as appropriate
The Briskman Guarantee
At Briskman, Briskman & Greenberg, we know you have a choice when selecting a personal injury or workers’ compensation attorney. That is why we have created the Briskman guarantee, which is a six-part promise that we make to each of our clients:
1. You will receive a free consultation with an experienced attorney.
2. Because we do not use call screeners, you will speak with an attorney when you call our office.
3. You will never have to pay a fee unless we can help you obtain compensation for your injuries.
4. We will always treat you with courtesy and respect.
5. We will keep you advised of all significant developments in your case.
6. We will promptly return your calls and emails.
The Briskman guarantee represents our firm’s commitment to our clients and their families. Other firms may claim to put their clients first, but our client testimonials and track record of success speak for themselves.
Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers on Your Side
If you or a loved one has recently been bitten and injured by a dog, the dedicated Illinois personal injury lawyers at Briskman, Briskman & Greenberg can help. With over 30 years of experience advocating on behalf of injury victims, we know what it takes to succeed on behalf of our clients. When you invite us to work on your case, we begin working diligently for you and will keep you informed every step of the way.
As a part of the Briskman Guarantee, your initial consultation is free. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay us when we successfully get compensation for you or your family. To learn more, call 1-877-595-4878 to schedule a free consultation today. Briskman, Briskman & Greenberg has locations in Joliet and Chicago to serve you better.