A personal injury is an injury to a person’s body, mind or emotions (as opposed to an injury to a person’s property). A personal injury lawsuit is a case that alleges this type of injury. Personal injury lawsuits are often filed because the defendant’s negligent behavior caused an injury to the plaintiff.
We represent clients in personal injury lawsuits arising from:
- Car accidents, including uninsured and underinsured motorist claims
- Other accidents, including injuries to pedestrians and bicyclists
- Medical malpractice, including birth injuries, misdiagnosis, surgery errors and prescription mistakes
- Unsafe property, including cases of inadequate security, dog bites and slip and fall cases
- Defective products, including automobile defects
- Workplace accidents, including workers’ compensation claims
- Construction accidents
- Nursing home neglect and abuse
- Slip and falls
- Wrongful death
Money damages may be awarded to compensate you for the pain and suffering caused by your injury and for other expenses and costs that flow from it.
You may be able to recover damages for your physical pain and suffering as well as for emotional distress. In determining the amount of damages, the jury takes into account the nature, duration and extent of the injury and whether a pre-existing condition was aggravated by the injury. Factors like any disability, disfigurement or shortened life expectancy resulting from the injury are also considered. If a case settles before trial, similar factors are taken into account in arriving at the amount of the settlement.
An award or settlement may also include economic damages, including medical expenses and work losses (such as lost earnings, profits or time away from work.)
In a wrongful death case, a lawsuit is filed in the name of the personal representative of the deceased person for the benefit of the surviving spouse and next of kin. Damages may be awarded for, among other things, grief, sorrow and mental suffering.
If you believe you may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit, contact Briskman Briskman & Greenberg for a free, confidential consultation.