Electric scooters have had a polarizing effect since they were first introduced to Chicago in June 2019. While people have enjoyed riding scooters as a convenient transportation option, they have also raised safety concerns. E-scooters can cause serious accidents that can result in injuries or even death.
If you have been injured after being hit by a scooter or while riding one, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills and other expenses. Remember to take the following steps to protect your legal rights after an e-scooter accident:
- See a doctor immediately. Not only will you receive the treatment you need but doing so will ensure your injuries are documented for a future personal injury claim.
- File a police report as soon as possible. Obtain a copy.
- If you were in a collision with a scooter, get the rider’s name, contact details and scooter information. If you were hit by a vehicle while riding a scooter, note down the motorist’s name, contact details and insurance information.
- Collect evidence from the scene including photos and contact details of witnesses.
- Keep track of all your accident-related expenses including medical bills, repairs, loss of income and more. Make copies of all receipts and other paperwork.
- Contact a Chicago scooter accident attorney. The lawyer will advise you of your legal options for pursuing compensation for medical bills, emotional distress and more due to the accident.