Is Illinois a no-fault state for car accidents?

Illinois car accident lawyer

Illinois is not a no-fault state for car accidents. The state uses a fault-based system, also known as a tort system, with modified comparative negligence to determine who pays damages in a car accident case.

Under Illinois law, car accident claims are based on the fault of the driver who caused the collision. Each party involved in the crash is responsible for paying compensation based on the percentage they are deemed liable. Before an injured driver files a claim against another driver’s insurance policy, the claimant is required to prove fault for the car accident.

Because Illinois applies a modified comparative negligence standard, it is still possible to sue another driver for damages if you were partly to blame for a crash, provided your share of fault is 50 percent or less. If you are 50 percent or more responsible for the collision, you may be unable to recover any compensation for your injuries or damaged property.

Comparative negligence means that recovery of damages is proportionate to the degree of fault. For example, if you are 20 percent to blame for a car accident, you are entitled to hold the other party 80 percent responsible for your losses.

As Illinois is not a no-fault state, it is essential to thoroughly investigate all serious car accidents. In many cases, determining fault is not always straightforward. In fact, two or more parties may be to blame for a collision.

For more information about how fault affects the amount of damages you can recover in a personal injury case, visit https://briskmanandbriskman.com/how-much-is-my-case-worth/.

Comments are closed.

CHICAGO LAW OFFICE
351 W. Hubbard St. Ste 810
Chicago, IL 60654

Phone: 312.222.0010
Fax: 312.222.1203

MAP/DIRECTIONS

JOLIET LAW OFFICE
175 N. Chicago St.
Joliet, IL 60432-4126

Phone: 312.222.0010
Fax: 312.222.1203

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Phone: 312.222.0010

SCHOLARSHIP

PODCAST:
Our podcast covers personal injury topics and cases of interest.

Chicago Injury Alert by Briskman Briskman & Greenberg

© 2021
Briskman Briskman & Greenberg
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy

The law firm of Briskman Briskman & Greenberg represents injured people throughout Illinois, including Chicago, the Chicagoland area, Joliet, Waukegan, Cicero, Evanston, Arlington Heights, Wheaton, Bolingbrook, and Naperville, as well as other cities within Cook County, Will County, DuPage County, Lake County and McHenry County. Briskman Briskman & Greenberg also represents injured people throughout Wisconsin, including Kenosha, Milwaukee, and Madison.

Custom Legal Marketing | Attorney Advertising