There are five critical things to remember after you’ve been in an accident:
1. Call the police. Even if the other party claims they do not want to involve the authorities, it is imperative that the police come and file a report about the accident. This report will be critical later in the process.
2. Do not admit fault. Even if you think the accident could have been your fault, say no such thing to the police, the other driver, an insurance company, or anyone else at the scene.
3. Seek medical care. It doesn’t matter if you think your aches and pains will go away. It is imperative that you get examined by a medical professional so that there is a record of the injuries you sustained in the accident. Also, your adrenaline may prevent you from immediately feeling the pain of your injuries which is why a thorough examination is important.
4. Gather evidence. Take some of your own pictures and get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses. If you find evidence like skid marks, then take a picture of them with the camera on your phone.
5. Do not give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company before calling a Chicago car accident attorney. An attorney can help you determine if you have a claim for damages against the other party or parties in the accident.